Monday, October 1, 2012

Beauty of Masbate City

Gateway of Masbate City
Gateway of Masbate

For most of us we don't want to spend more time travelling , and instead be on our destination the soonest possible way. There had been instances that we often blame others, or even ourselves, why we missed a trip or a flight. We couldn't afford to lose time and stand for the next couple of hours waiting for the next trip.

I had the same experience when I was on my way back to Cebu from Legaspi City, Albay last May. Since I already missed the Legaspi-Cebu flight, my next viable option is the Roro (roll on-roll off) trip in which I have to take a ferry trip to Masbate City and then another sea trip for Cebu. The trip went fine; until I, along with other would-be passengers, were informed that the boat bound for Cebu was already fully-booked. Plan C was to take a bus trip from Masbate to Cebu.




I really wasn't in a hurry, so I spend the night in Masbate City. I didn't expect much from that place except for the fact that Masbatenons are honest, friendly and hospitable people. I had that first-hand experience when I had the same fate which was about 2 years ago. Just when I was thinking of what I'm going to do while I'm in Masbate, a porter came and told me that I could catch another boat trip bound for Cebu. The only problem is that it is a 2-hour bus ride away. Growing up in a city, I thought that this person only offered to help in order to get something in return. I was wrong. A simple and warm-hearted 'thank you' was enough for him to keep him going.

And that was the reason why I was confident to spend the night in Masbate. While I was looking for a place to eat, I saw the Flores de Mayo procession. It was my first time to see this celebration, although as a kid I used to climb our neighbor's fence just to get a handful of flowers to offer to our chapel. When I saw that procession, I had wished I had a camera to take pictures of it. It was simply beautiful and rich with my country's cultural heritage.

The following day, I met new friends who were also stranded in Masbate. There was no trip on that day or the day after, and so we had to take the Roro bus trip. It was a grueling 6-hour trip, but what makes it more interesting are the experiences I have had. Compared to a plane trip, you can't help but talk with the person sitting beside you. He was around 50 who worked at a geothermal plant in Albay. I've learned a lot of things about him, his family and his perspective. I was also able to get a glimpse of the rural living, particularly in Masbate. People in these areas live in a simple yet fulfilling way. You get to see children with their smiles as the bus stops to load some passengers.

Overall, the landtrip wasn't really that bad as long you open your mind. In fact, it made broaden my view on how people interact with one another. We are in such a rat race that we forget what life has to offer. We are all in a hurry to be on the finish line, when in fact the most important thing in this race is to enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment